There is a lot of information about peppermint. There are a lot of ways how you can use peppermint in your life.
Peppermint is native to Europe but at the moment 75% of world supply comes from the United States. Approximately one pound of peppermint plants is what you need to fill up an 15 ml bottle essential oils. It is extracted from the leaves and flowering tops of the plant by steam distillation.
The cooling effect you get from peppermint comes from the menthol which is a primary component of peppermint. It activates the same receptors on nerve endings that are involved in sensing cold.
So how can peppermint be used:
- It can help to support a healthy digestive system. It also can help to take away hunger (great help when you like to lose some weight);
- It can help to freshen up DIY cleaners. Just add some drops to your spray bottle;
- It can be used with a massage after an excercise to cool down your muscles;
- It can help to reduce the symptoms of a cold or cough;
- It can help to reduce pain in your muscles or joint associated with sprains, strains and rheumatoid arthritis;
- It can help to calm your nerves or calming children with ADHD;
- Together with Lavender it is a great oil to cool and soothe any itch.
The list goes on and on. I just looked at a couple of websites to find information about peppermint but there is way more out there. Just Google it.
For me peppermint is number one to reduce my headaches. I just put some in my neck and I have the cooling feeling for hours which is generally enough to bring down the headache or get rid of it completely.
I have it in my bag permanently instead of the pills I used to take.